Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Yip Harburg: What Is There To Say


Another great Harburg lyric song by Johnny Hartman
They should use Yip and the rest of the Big Five lyricists (Ira Gershwin, Lorenz Hart, Howard Dietz, Oscar Hammerstein ) for April is poetry month. All of them New Yorkers! But then Who am I Kidding?

What is there to say
And what is there to do
The dream I've been seeking
Has practically speaking come true
What is there to say
How will I pull through
I knew in a moment
Contentment and home meant just you
You are so lovable
So livable
Your beauty is just unforgivable
You're made to marvel at and words to that effect
What is there to say
What is there to do
My heart's in a deadlock
I'd even face wedlock with you

The slide show includes all those who have recorded this song (in no particular order) Sadly only Pizzarrelli, Billy Taylor and the great Sonny Rollins are the only ones still alive
Johnny Hartman, Gerry Mulligan, Susannah McCorkle, Chet Baker, Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, Artie Shaw, Bill Evans, Mel Torme, Nat King Cole, Sonny Rollins, Dorothy Dandridge, John Pizzarelli, Billy Taylor, Dizzy Gillespie, Barney Kessel, Ellis Larkin, Sylvia Syms

No comments: