Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Synchronicity #30: Lorillard, Newport, Ted Brown And Memories Of WNEW AM

One of Lorillard's top selling brands was Newport. I guess the name derived from Pierre Lorillard's estate in Newport. I was looking around for a Newport jingle to accompany a slide show about Lorillard and I found a bunch of ad videos on the prelinger site. One of them featured coincidentally Ted Brown (of Ted Brown and the Redhead fame). I started to remember (and I can picture) the radio situated in the kitchen, above the refrigerator, of 14 Monroe Street. It played WNEW all the time-Klavan and Finch, William B., Williams, Ted Brown and later Julius LaRosa. There was the Make Believe Ballroom and the Milkman Matinee. That was one thing my mother and father agreed upon, the music of that era. Maybe that's why I listened faithfully to that old fashioned style, while the whole world around me went to rock and roll, folk and later the Beatles. Uncle Hy had his radio, same station, situated in the back of his store, Hi-Mart Pants And Tailors, near his sewing machines.

No comments: