Friday, August 25, 2006

Jo-ey's In Love

In The Battle of Brooklyn (230 years ago this week) the British decoyed the Continental Army into thinking there would be a frontal assault in Gowanus. Instead they used a flanking maneuver along the unprotected Jamaica Pass. I think Cup of Joe's Joey used a similar ploy of a few weeks ago to disguise the real reason we've been without his Sunday column. The real reason, Joey's in love and has no time for us: "How come he don't come and p.l.p. with me. Down at the meter no more? How come he turned off the TV. And he hung that sign on the door? We call and we call "How come?" we say. Hey,what could make a boy behave this way? He learned all of the lines, and every time he don't stutter when he talks. And it's true! It's true! He sure is acquired a cool and inspired sorta jazz when he walks. Where's his jacket and his old blue jeans? If this ain't healthy is it some kinda clean? I think that Chuck E's in love Chuck E's in love. I don't believe what you're saying to me. This is something I gotta see. Is he here? Look in the poolhall. Is he here? Look in the drugstore. Is he here? No, he don't come here no more. I'll tell you what I saw him. He was sittin' behind us down at the Pantages. And whatever it is that he's got up his sleeve. I hope it isn't contagious. What's her name? Is that her there? Christ, I think he's even combed his hair! Is that her? What's her name? Oh, it's never going to be same. But that's not her I know what's wrong--
Chuck E's in love with the little girl who's singing this song. Chuck E's in love Chuck E's in love with me.
Post script: I wonder whether Joey is combing his hair. For your listening pleasure, here's Joey's favorite song these days

No comments: