Monday, December 03, 2007

Who's Who In Knickerbocker Village History: Julius and Philip Epstein

In my quest to know all things Knickerbocker Village (ok, I admit it's getting far too obsessive) I discovered this most amazing bit of history. A search of the nytimes archives (using Knickerbocker Village as a search query) lead me to an mid 1939 article (below) about the Epstein (Philip and Julius) Twins. They were Hollywood screenwriters who were born in the kv neighborhood. They went to PS 147, which was on Henry ans Scammel Streets. Further investigation led me to find out that they co-wrote the screenplay to Casablanca! Philip's grandson is Theo Epstein, the gm of the Sox! Their exact address in 1910 was 78 Cherry Street (smack in the middle of where KV was to be built). In 1920 they lived at 245 East Broadway, where the Seward Park Houses were to be built.

No comments: