Monday, December 10, 2007

1941-2 New York In Color


From the gothamist
Drop whatever you are doing and go check out the Charles W. Cushman archive. They've got a series of New York City photographs from the 1940s and 1950s that will literally blow your socks off. It's all there- from the Old Fulton Market pictures above, Wall Street, the Waterfront, LES, more LES, Pearl Street, the East Village, and 42nd Street. All beautifully notated. Gothamist hopes that in fifty years, people will look back on the archives of the New York City photoblogs and feel a similar sense of wonder.
The exact url fro the cushman archive with these photos

MOONLIGHT SERENADE
Glenn Miller

I stand at your gate and the song that I sing is of moonlight.
I stand and I wait for the touch of your hand in the June night.
The roses are sighing a Moonlight Serenade.

The stars are aglow and tonight how their light sets me dreaming.
My love, do you know that your eyes are like stars brightly beaming?
I bring you and sing you a Moonlight Serenade.

Let us stray till break of day
in love's valley of dreams.
Just you and I, a summer sky,
a heavenly breeze kissing the trees.

So don't let me wait, come to me tenderly in the June night.
I stand at your gate and I sing you a song in the moonlight,
a love song, my darling, a Moonlight Serenade.

No comments: