Saturday, December 15, 2007

Newsies: King Of New York


The boys are feeling pretty good because they stopped the "presses" on the first day of the strike. Thus they feel like Kings Of New York
MUSH:
A pair of new shoes with matchin' laces!

RACETRACK:
A permanent box at Sheepshead races!

SPOT CONLON:
A porcelain tub with boilin' water!

KID BLINK:
A Saturday night with the mayor's daughter!

RACETRACK:
Look at me
I'm the king of New York
Suddenly
I'm respectable
Starin' right at 'cha
Lousy with stature

JACK:
Nobbin' with all the muckety-mucks
I'm blowin' my dough and goin' deluxe

RACETRACK:
And there I be
Ain't I pretty?

RACETRACK and JACK:
It's my city
I'm the king of New York!

BOOTS:
A corduroy suit with fitted knickers

LES:
A mezzanine seat to see the flickers

SNIPESHOOTER:
Havana cigars that cost a quarter

DAVID:
An editor's desk for the star reporter

NEWSIES:
Tip your hat
He's the king of New York

DENTON:
How 'bout that!
I'm the king of New York

NEWSIES:
In nothing flat
He'll be covering
Brooklyn to Trenton
Our man Denton

KID BLINK:
Makin' a headline out of a hunch

DENTON:
Protecting the weak

RACETRACK:
And payin' for lunch

DENTON:
When I'm at bat
Strong men crumble

RACETRACK:
Proud yet humble

RACETRACK and DENTON:
I'm (He's) the king of New York

ALL:
I gotta be either dead or dreamin'
'Cause look at that pape with my face beamin'
Tomorrow they may wrap fishes in it
But I was a star for one whole minute

Startin' now
I'm the king of New York

DENTON:
Ain't ya heard?
I'm the king of New York

ALL:
Holy cow
It's miracle
Pulitzer's cryin'
Weasel, he's dyin'
Flashpots are shootin' bright as the sun
I'm one highfalutin' son-of-a-gun
Don't ask me how
Fortune found me
Fate just crowned me
Now I'm king of New York
Look and see
Once a piker
Now a striker
I'm the king of New York
Victory!
Front page story
Guts and glory
I'm the king of New York!

No comments: