Friday, September 14, 2007

My Google Maps: Place Matters


Well this is what I have been working on and where I have been. This is my latest (I currently have 14 of them) and a lot of tedious work is involved in creating them. The description of this map
"Your Guide to the Lower East Side" (red markers on this map) presents the experienc-es of past and present Lower East Siders on 28 signs at 6 separate sidewalk locations. With photographs and text in 5 languages, these “place markers” weave personal stories and cher-ished memories directly into the landscape, often right where the stories took place. The signs reveal the rich and diverse layers of human experience that make the neighborhood so distinctive. They transform the participants’ stories of struggle and achievement into a legacy for all who pass by. Place Matters is an initiative of City Lore and the Municipal Art Society to promote and protect places that con-nect us to the past and sustain community. Go to www.placematters.net to learn more about places on the Lower East Side and all around the city. here's a link to my google map on place matters

No comments: