Sunday, March 18, 2007

My Practice Informed

Here's an all purpose template (filled in by one of Ms. Rizzo's 4th graders) that I'm using now. I made a folder containing a bunch of Liberty Kids' movies that I got from Powermedia Plus and put it on the laptops. The sight, free to all NYCDOE teachers, but hardly anyone knows about it, has all 40 in the excellent series. What's excellent too is that the show is still being shown in reruns on Sunday on Channel 11 so that many of the kids are already familiar with the story and the characters. This, to me, is the kind of strategic thinking and planning that I thought curriculum mapping was all about, but it isn't from what I have seen (especially in the think tank void of the nycdoe as channeled thru Columbia TC). Good thinking involves knowing what resources are available and accessible to kids, including their previous exposure to films and television shows.

No comments: