Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Sol: Informing My Practice

Tomorrow would have been my dad's 86th birthday. Sol was a master bs maker as well well as a a master bs detector. I'm more skilled in the latter. When I worked at a District Office the head of professional development, let's call him Style Craver, was so full of bs that he needed a service contract with roto rooter for his constipation problems. He used the term "Informing My Practice" a lot. I amused myself at his long boring meetings by playing an early version of bs bingo that I taught to some of my goombas for attention survival.
But it turns out, "informing my practice" is a pretty accurate term for some of the things I've learned by being in the trenches with the kids. Bs is bs in education because those kind of jargon expressions have no basis in reality. Recently I added an all purpose word template for my film analysis, aka response sheet, evaluation rubric, blah, blah. I need something to know whether the kids are learning as well as a tool to reinforce application learning and I just don't have the time to make up detail and inference type questions for all of the content files I'm creating.

No comments: