Monday, November 27, 2006

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn: Williamsburgh Tour


Yesterday I went to explore the East Williamsburgh area of Brooklyn that Francie Nolan lived in. Now it is mostly Spanish. I started out on Grand near Manhattan and you can see the path that I took from the image I saved from Google Maps. I even used the ruler tool to measure the distance. This is a good math integration tool. The tour for this first of two youtubed movies ends at the x on Scholes and Leonard. Some beautiful old church buildings on Leonard (St. Mary's?). PS18 looks like a 100 year old Snyder school.There appears to be a converted synagogue that is now a Baptist Church on Leonard and Stagg. There's a tremendous juxtaposition of old and new. The low rise projects are The Williamsburg Houses. The Fillmore Real Estate on Grand shows three story houses going for $700,000. For the soundtrack I used the jukebox music being played at the combination Pizza Place and Tamali restaurant I ate in. Scholes, Messerole, Stagg, Ten Van Eyck Walk-you don't find street names like that everywhere!

1 comment:

Karen Evans said...

This is a fantastic post! I came across it while searching Google for whether such tours exist. I've always wanted to make the journey out to the area to put myself in that space. (And, since I'd be coming from Ann Arbor, MI area, it would be kind of taking Francie's journey backward). Thanks for sharing!