Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Avenue C

Spoke to cousin Melissa-ace 1st grade teacher on the LES and we will try to do a neighborhood (Avenues B and C study) like Ms. Asis and combine it with kids' audio, scanned writing, pictures and every appropriate TC literacy strand imaginable. There's a 1958 Lambert, Hendricks and Ross scat version of Avenue C that is remarkable for how fresh it sounds after 48 years. The young rappers could go to school on this

N. Y. I dig, What about it? N. Y. is big, People tout it I flip my wig, What about?' Bout a street I dig
One day I was walkin' n' Finally came upon a series of alphabet streets A-B-C and D, but I went for "C" The most of the hard-to-forget streets It's really and truly the dilly of all m'pet streets, Hey, hey, hey everybody now Come go walkin' with me now Walk up avenue C now Chicks all lookin' so pretty They don't give me no pity Avenue C is the grooviest in the city Tenor sax: I never dug an avenue so enjoyable to me "C" Avenue is groovy Yes it was groovy as it could be Walk with me down Avenue C, Man I really hope to say. Come on baby, while we ramble, Walk beside me while we ramble You dig it too I feel you do What a scenic hike It's a walk that you're bound to like Y'got "B" on the one side,"A," "D" on the other ,"B" "C" in the middle, "C" Baby! The reason that you're feelin' so down, babe Is 'cause you live in Stuyvesant Town, babe I dug you down in Hamilton Fish, babe And realized that you were my dish, babe Walkin' home and you can walk with me Walkin' hand in hand up Avenue C, Oh babe And while we're walkin' we can do some talkin'
While the people dig us wonderin' what we're puttin' down While we, happy as we can be, glide on Takin' life in stride up to Murphy Park there beside the river Well our feet got rhythm Pure pedal syncopation 'N when we walk with 'em Demandin' admiration, Well our step is snappy Dig people step aside now, Because we're so happy We're takin' life in stride now, Avenue C your vibrations are followin' me. Oh yes Everybody busily lookin' , Yes yes, Me and baby steadily cookin' Yes yes , Start at one end talkin' and movin' Yes yes,To the other wiggin' and groovin' So come, You should, And view, I would, This Ave- You could, Venue, It's good, Walk on, "C" Avenue, see it my way Talk on, No better view on a highway, Big town you don't know 'till you see it Walk on, I never saw such a wonderful sight, You're gonna love it Break I'm hip, you'll flip, When you dig it you'll stop and linger What a pleasure and what a swinger, Go dig it cop that view it's bound to thrill you Go dig it cop that view it's bound to thrill you Go dig it cop that view it's bound to thrill you Go dig it cop that view it's bound to thrill you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great movie, cool project idea as well. So I am getting the feeling here that you may be a collector of things vinyl. If this is the case we have something in common that we never hit on in the past...I happen to be an absolute psycopathic record collector. I genuinely loose my mind and all good sense when I am around records-I have been known to sheepishly come home $100 poorer with a stack of records-not knowing or understanding how or why it all happened.