Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Pickle Power

I was on the LES last week helping set up a class visit by some 2nd graders to see the thepickleguys at work. While there both the owner, Alan Kaufman and I, were interviewed by Columbia Journalism students. Afterwards I went to the Seward Park Library. I was curious to see if they had any archival material on food vendors on the lower east side. I came up with some gems. Part of this slide show is made up of a 1973 NYTimes' article about Guss' Pickles.
The last two slides come from a newly published book I got, "Life On The Lower East Side, the Photographs of Rebecca Lepkoff." They are of unidentified LES pickle merchants from the 1940's. Alan Kaufman told me that the photo of the guy with the pipe is his pickle mentor, Natie Hollander, who is still alive!

No comments: