Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn: Francie Nolan's School?

I spoke to the Principal of PS18 (the Edward Bush School), located on Maujer and Leonard. I wanted to share with her my Tree Grows In Brooklyn discoveries. Maybe Francie Nolan, aka Betty Smith, aka Elisabetha Wehner, went to PS18? Principal Ford, who was a fan of the book, was very pleasant and very interested. Amazingly she answered the school phone herself! (BTW, PS18 got high marks from the insideschools.com site.) Coincidentally my online purchase of Brian Merlis' book, "Brooklyn's Williamsburgh, A City Within A City," arrived today and had the photograph above. The current PS18 is built just about on the original site.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN IS THE BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN NEXT TO DON QUIJOTE. THE MOVIE(1945)STARRED THE LATE PEGGY ANN GARNER. HER PERFORMANCE WILL KEEP THIS ANGEL ALIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!

Victorian Nymph said...

Fascinating! I am reading this now, enjoying it very much.

Ray said...

Hi, are you still researching A Tree Grows in Brooklyn locations in Williamsburg? I am a Brooklyn tour guide offering a "Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" walking tour and I'd love to compare notes with you. I've located some pretty obscure spots, like Johnny Nolan's Barbershop. Check out the link here: http://www.raystours.nyc/tours/atreegrowsinbrooklyn/