Thursday, October 13, 2005

The House I Live In: The Shtetl

Three of our fifth grade classes saw Fiddler yesterday, great orchestra seats courtesy of Rosie O'Donnell. Terrific show, but no one was ever better than Zero Mostel as Tevya. Rosie met with the kids, along with the cast members afterwards, and was extremely warm and accessible. A great lady. The shtetl would be a good home theme for 5th graders, especially with immigration as an overarching grade "mandate." I would compare the closed community of the shtetl to the colonists at Plymouth in order to make it more understandable to the kids. I would also stress the traditions in song and dance that encompass all cultures. I could just see Sara Joseph , with Sam and Howard's help, building a complete scale model shtetl with her class. Here's a slide show with assorted web shtetl images. I could swear that's Lenny Greher in slide 2. Here's a summary of the play as a pdf document.

No comments: