Thursday, September 08, 2005

City Of New Orleans: Good Night America

City of New Orleans By Arlo Guthrie - originally written by Steve Goodman - Katrina rewrite by Stephen Johnson
Living in the City of New Orleans
I'm gettin' by, but poor as poor can be. I voted for the man who'd keep me safest. By God, I knew he'd do alright by me.
All along the length of Bourbon Street friendly faces smile at me. Strolling down past cafes, pubs and bars.
Passing I remember when, city full of old black men Played saxaphones under the moon and stars.
Good mornin' America, how are you? Don't you know me? I'm your native son!
I'm the place they call the City of New Orleans. I'll be doing fine soon as this storm is gone.
You know some say you lied to take us to war. Betting our lives, hoping no one's keeping score.
Cut our funds and hoping for the best. But I hear the waves lapping at my door
You said no one could ever forsee this disaster. But that lie you tried to spread was soon revealed
Families with no cash or car, prayed to God to please stand guard. But the rising tide just would not recede
Good mornin' America, how are you? . Say don't you know me? I'm your native son!
I'm the jewel called the City of New Orleans. I'll be under 20 feet when the day is done.
Swimming through the City of New Orleans. Wish I was in Memphis, Tennessee
Superdome, yeah we'll be there by morning.' And the federal government sure will rescue me.
But all the men and women seem to drown in this bad dream. And the journalists still ain't told the truth
The president, he lies again. And asks us not to assign blame
This rain's sure made me lose my faith in yo. Good night America, how are you?
Say don't you know me? I'm your native son! I'm the lesson called the City of New Orleans.
I'll lose 50,000 lives before the nightmare's gone.
Listen to the original by Arlo Guthrie and download this word file to read the original lyrics

No comments: