Sunday, December 25, 2005

Wyckoff House: Colonial Coloring Book

I often use the www.contemplator.com site for historical midi files. Midis are small in size and when combined with a slide show it permits ease in transferability. In this case I combined the tune, The Farmer's Curst Wife (The Devil and the Farmer), with scanned pics from a Dover Coloring Book on colonial people. The lyrics, and no smirking please, "A farmer was ploughing his field one day, Riteful, riteful, titty fie day, A farmer was ploughing his field one day When the devil came up, and to him did say, With a riteful la, titty fie day, Riteful, riteful, titty fie day. See here, my good man, I have come for your wife, Riteful, riteful, titty fie day, See here, my good man I have come for your wife, For she's the bane and torment of your life, With a riteful la, titty fie day, Riteful, riteful, titty fie day. So the Devil he hoisted her up on his hump, Riteful, riteful, titty fie day, So the Devil he hoisted her up on his hump, And down to Hell with her he did jump, With a riteful la, titty fie day, Riteful, riteful, titty fie day." This was about 350 years before the Black Eyed Peas and their version of My Hump! I also posterized the coloring book characters for displays in three of the fourth grade classes studying colonial life. Here's the slide show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David! I finally got a chance to look over your blog. What an amazing amount of quality content! You should be very proud of this work; it teaches and entertains at the same time. Three more classes to go at Touro and then field work/practicum. I especially love your slideshows. I remember how you were one of the first people to get a Mac on Sherman Street (at least out of those of us who hung out outside with our kids). You have really soared in your technological expertise. I am still just basically websurfing and word processing although I will be taking a Technology in Education course the semester after next which I hope will lead to a quantum jump in my computer understanding so I will be able to teach relevantly. Again, fantastic blog! Happy Holidays! Love, Lori

David Ballela said...

Thanks Lori. It's nice to know someone reads this and can make use of it. Happy Holidays to you and your family as well.