Thursday, May 22, 2008

"Alien" Encounters


It was about 6:30PM, at the end of my Greenwood Cemetery perimeter walk and I was on 6th Avenue and about 20th Street. A school bus with Hebrew lettering pulls up to the curb alongside me. I'm saying to myself WTF is that doing here? On cue it seemed an army of young hasids emerges from a non-descript factory across the street. As I stand frozen in astonishment the ever growing group, in turn, starts staring in me. Did I look like a terrorist or something? Didn't they know I was a "brother", or did my Sephardic tinge make them think I was an Arab. I refused to "back down" and just move on, but with about a 100 or more pair of eyes and many fingers on me it was unsettling. I devised a strategy by going to a nearby stoop to place a long overdue call to my aunt. I thought, "Let them think I'm calling for a back up." Finally the bus pulls away and I see one of the boys waving goodbye to me.
The picture above shows the real location with photoshopped yeshiva bochrers.

No comments: