Sunday, September 03, 2006

Woo Woo DBQ

This is pretty hot and could qualify for the top ten. The Library of Congress has a collection of special pictoral editions (rotogravures) of the NYTimes during the World War I years. I downloaded some of the individual pdf files and then captured ad portions of them. What's next-the obvious slide show. However, the added wrinkle here is that I used maps.a9.com to find the image of the corresponding street address today.I inserted them in the slide show after the old address mentioned in the ads. This couldn't be done in the Brooklyn Eagle Ads since a9 maps only exist for Manhattan Streets (and only some of them).I was just thinking for local history sake it would be great if more NY newspapers were digitized, like the Amsterdam News and the NY Post (when it used to be a real newspaper)

I then made up a quiz for the slide show that you can view here

No comments: