Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Down South Camp Meeting

The dysfunctional family went south to Philly for 2 days this weekend.


While I was there I was ready again to call and maybe visit an elderly Lemonick for information on my "mystery grandpa" but again I got no response to an email from famous couz Michael. I had Bernie's home zeroed in on Google Earth and a planned side trip to Germantown (a philly burb) would have brought us close enough to convince the troops to try for another drive by adventure. Heat was too much. The youngin (who was suffering from the apprehension of a summer operation) was mollified by a trip to the Woodbridge Mall (Contrary Mary's nabe). While waiting I fantasized about having a mini camera to capture the variety of sights. I found a gem in the used CD collection of a Frye's music store. I guess there wasn't much of a market for a Manhattan Transfer disc in Reggatone World, so it was $4.99. I never knew Jon Hendricks wrote lyrics for this Fletcher Henderson great: Ga-ther here, come ye from far an' near
Get the meetin' on Saints and sinners, come one, come all (Have a little revival)
Losers, winners, answer my call "Cause right now the tent's up (Really it is)
The word's out - (Truly, it is) An' has been since the dawn (Hear me tell ya)
The call's out (Really it is) An' we're 'bout (Tendin' t'biz)
To git this meetin' on - Hear me tellin' you
Brothers n' sisters who want to repent
(That's right!) You'll find what you've been lookin' for right here in the tent
here's the full set of lyrics
Here's the tune

No comments: